Recipe type: Soup
Squash Soup is a Bolivian food recipe with hot chilies, onions and carrots.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 fresh, hot chilies, seeded and chopped
- 2½ pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Pepper to taste
- Very small amount of salt
- Lime wedges
- In a large, non-aluminum saucepan, warm the butter over medium heat. Stir in the onions, carrots, and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes and then cover the pan. Lower heat and cook for 3 or 4 more minutes, until the vegetables are very tender.
- Stir in the tomato puree, chilies, butternut squash, and chicken broth. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Mash the squash pieces with a potato masher, season to taste and serve.
- Serve with lime wedges and corn bread.