Pastel de Choclo | Corn and Meat Pie
Recipe type: Entree
Pastel de Choclo | Corn and Meat Pie is a Bolivian food recipe of their version for beef and chicken pie.
- 6 large ears of corn, kernels only
- 8 leaves of fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. butter
- ½-1 cup milk
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb. finely ground lean beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 cup black olives
- 1 cup raisins
- 12 pieces of chicken, browned in hot oil and seasoned
- Heat the grated corn, chopped basil, salt and butter in a large pot. Add the milk little by little, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Leave to one side while you prepare the meat filling.
- Fry the onions in oil until transparent, add the ground meat and stir to brown.
- Season with salt, pepper and ground cumin.
- To prepare the pie use an oven-proof dish or smaller dishes that you can take to the table.
- Spread over the bottom of the dish the onion-ground meat mixture. Arrange over this the hard boiled egg slices, olives and raisins. Put the chicken pieces on top. Cover the filling with the corn mixture.
- Bake in a hot oven 400F for 30-35 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Serve at once.