Recipe type: Side
Humitas is a Bolivian food recipe of corn puree wrapped in husks and then boiled.
- 6 ears corn with husks
- 1 onion, minced
- 1½ tsp, salt
- 1 tbsp basil
- ¾ tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp oil
- Remove husks, rinse and set in water.
- Remove the corn kernels from the cob.
- Using a blender or food processor, puree corn kernels until smooth.
- Saute onion, salt, basil and paprika. Add corn paste and mix well.
- Arrange husks into star patterns so the wide ends overlap in the center to create 6 envelopes.
- Place 2 tbsp of corn mix in the middle of each husk star.
- Fold the two long sides in and over the corn mixture, then fold the two ends toward the center so the corn mixture is covered. Tie each corn package securely with string.
- Place humitas in a large saucepan of boiling water. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from water, drain, unwrap, and serve warm.