Cheese and Olive Empanadas
Recipe type: Entree
Cheese and Olive Empanadas are a Bolivian food recipe for stuffed pastries.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1¼ ounces stuffed green olives, chopped
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Combine flour and salt. Cut in the shortening until pieces are the size of small peas. Add a small amount of water to slightly moisten. Form dough into a ball. Roll out the dough to about ⅛ inch thick and cut into 4-inch circles. Lightly flour both sides of circles.
- Combine olives and cheddar in a bowl. Spoon a tablespoon of the filling into the center of each round, fold the pastry over and crimp the edges to seal.
- Place the pastries on trays about 2 cm apart.
- Brush with the egg yolk and bake in the center or top half of oven for 15 minutes, or until well browned and puffed. Swap the trays around and cook another 10 minutes, covering loosely with foil if the empanadas start to brown too much.