Beef and Pumpkin Stew
Recipe type: Entree
Beef and Pumpkin Stew is a Bolivian food recipe for a stew baked in a pumpkin.
- 4 cups water
- 3 ears corn, shucked and sliced
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 red pepper, cubed
- 1 green pepper, cubed
- 2 pounds beef top round roast, cubed
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup white wine
- Salt and pepper
- 1 peach, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1 pear, peeled, cored, and cubed
- 1 cup seedless grapes
- 1 tablespoon raisins, hydrated
- 1 large (10 to 12-pound) pumpkin
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ pound butter
- Pour the water into a saucepan, add salt to taste, and bring to a boil. Drop in the corn, cover the pot, and let the water boil again, and then turn off the heat. Let the corn sit in the covered pot for 5 minutes, until tender. Remove the corn from the pot and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the onion, peppers, and beef and sauté until the vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes, carrot, potatoes, wine, and salt and pepper to taste. Sauté for 15 minutes, and then add the cooked corn, peach, pear, grapes, and raisins. Stir together and simmer, covered, over low heat for 5 minutes longer.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Scrub the pumpkin. Cut down into the top of the pumpkin to make a lid 6 or 7 inches in diameter, leaving the stem as a handle. Scrape out the seeds and stringy fiber from the lid and inside the pumpkin.
- Heat the milk and butter in a saucepan until the butter is melted, and then pour into the bottom of the pumpkin.
- Put the pumpkin on a baking sheet and fill it with the stew. Cover the pumpkin with the lid and place it in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, and then reduce the heat to 350F and bake for 1 more hour.
- Place the pumpkin on a large serving platter and serve directly from it at the table.