Beans with Vegetables
Recipe type: Entree
Beans with Vegetables is a Bolivian food recipe called Porotos Granados.
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 c. finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 c. zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 4 c. canned navy or garbanzo beans (strain liquid and save)
- 1½ c. water, more or less as needed
- 1½ c. canned stewed tomatoes
- 1 c. frozen corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, paprika, and oregano. Mix well and fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini and beans and mix well.
- Add enough water to the reserved bean liquid to make 2 cups. Add liquid to the Dutch oven, stir, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add the tomatoes, corn, salt, and pepper. Cook uncovered for about 30 minutes, reducing the liquid but not allowing the stew to dry out. Serve as a main dish or as a side item with meat, poultry, or fish.